How to apply
Applicants to UBC Music's Bachelor of Music (B.Mus.) degree program must successfully meet the admission requirements of both the University of British Columbia and the School of Music. For information about applying to our other programs, including dual degrees and the Bachelor of Arts (Major in Music), please visit our Degree and Diploma program pages.
Step One: Apply to UBC
Deadline: Jan. 15, 2018
Major entry scholarships deadline: Dec. 1, 2017 (Canadian & International students)
Before you apply to UBC School of Music, you must apply to the University of British Columbia. Make sure to complete the online UBC application form and submit any required materials listed in the application instructions. Need help? Please watch/read this application tutorial.
Other useful information:
Step Two: Apply to UBC Music
Deadline: Jan. 22, 2018
Once you've applied to the University of British Columbia, you must apply to the School of Music by completing the online BMUS Supplementary Application Form (available from November 1, 2017 when you log into the Student Service Centre) and submitting transcripts, references, and an application fee.
- Choosing a major: Prospective B.Mus. students must choose from four different majors—General Studies, Music Education, Performance, or Composition. Please note that if you select General Studies as your first choice, you may not choose Performance or Composition as your second choice due to its requiring a higher level of ability.
Transcripts: The School of Music requires applicants to upload an "extra" copy of an unofficial current transcript into the Supplementary Application Form, for internal use by the music department only. For acceptance to UBC and the BMUS program, applicants MUST submit all transcripts and other records as required by UBC Admissions.
References: The School of Music requires applicants to provide reference forms from two current or recent music teachers: the applicant's private lesson teacher, and a school music teacher or community ensemble leader. If necessary, applicants may ask another teacher who can speak to their musical abilities/ accomplishments. Applicants: please direct your references to the online form, available here beginning November 1, 2017.
- Application fee: There is a fee of CAD $65.50 for BMUS Supplementary Applications. You will be prompted to pay this fee during the general UBC application process.
- Late submissions: If you think you might be unable to gather all of the supplementary material before the January 22 deadline, please contact Katherine Evans at firstname.lastname@example.org or (604) 827-1595 in advance.
- Students wishing to transfer into the B.Mus. program from another program at UBC or from another university should read our transfer guidelines.
- Students interested in Composition and Music Scholarship should read our entry guidelines for these areas of study within the B.Mus. degree program.
- Once admitted, B.Mus students can apply to a variety of double majors, dual degrees, and other programs. For more information, explore our degrees and diplomas page.
Step Three: Audition
Auditions: Early March, 2018
Once you have submitted your UBC and B.Mus. applications, you will receive an email from the School of Music inviting you to audition at a specific date and time. Please do not make travel plans until you receive confirmation from us. All prospective students must audition as part of the application process. Video auditions are possible if travel to UBC presents a hardship. For more information about video auditions, please email email@example.com.
A few considerations:
Preparing for the audition: Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the requirements for your instrument before your audition.
- Collaborative pianist (accompanist): The School of Music supplies a pianist for vocalists only; they are not required for instrumental auditions. However, any instrumentalist or vocalist may bring their own pianist or hire a School of Music pianist.
- Map: Location of School of Music
Note: Entrance/Application auditions are separate from ensemble placement auditions. B.Mus. degree students will audition for placement in ensembles at the beginning of each academic year, once they have been admitted to the School of Music. UBC students in other disciplines may also audition for ensembles in early September and, if placed, may participate in an ensemble for credit. Explore non-major ensembles and opportunities in the School of Music here.
Step Four: Apply for scholarships and awards
Deadline: Varies by award
There are a number of scholarships and bursaries available for incoming Canadian and international undergraduate students. For a comprehensive list, visit our Scholarships and Awards page. Please be aware that the deadline for major entrance scholarships can be as early as Dec. 1, 2017.
UBC scholarships and awards:
- Canadian students: These include major entrance scholarships, Schulich Leader Scholarships, the Centennial Scholars Entrance Award, and Awards for Aboriginal students.
- International students: These include the International Major Entrance Scholarship, Outstanding International Student Award, and more.
- UBC also offers scholarships and awards for students with disabilities, women in part-time study, and more.
- For a complete list of UBC scholarships for first-year students, please visit UBC's scholarships and awards page.
UBC School of Music scholarships and awards: There is no application process for most scholarships in Music. New and returning students in the B.Mus. degree program are automatically considered for these scholarships, which vary from $500 to $3,500. Some are designated for particular instruments, others on general academic merit.
Non-UBC scholarships and awards: Please visit our general scholarships and awards page for more information.
Step Five: Apply for financial aid (if applicable)
Deadline: Students planning to commence studies in September 2018 are encouraged to apply for financial aid by July 31st. Bursary dates vary.
Canadian and U.S. students are eligible for financial assistance in the form of student loans, need-based bursaries, and emergency funding. Please note that UBC's policy on financial support declares that no eligible Canadian student will be prevented from attending the university for financial reasons alone.
Step Six: Apply for housing
Deadline: June 1, 2018
To apply for on-campus housing, visit UBC Student Housing, where you can take a virtual tour of the residences and submit your application. We recommend choosing Place Vanier as your first choice because it's very close to the School of Music building and has at least four 24-hour practice rooms. Note that students with a disability or ongoing medical condition are eligible for priority access to on-campus housing.
If you're interested in renting accommodation outside the university, be sure to check out UBC's guide to guide to off-campus housing.
I've applied. Now what?
You'll receive an email with your individual audition date and time in early February. Be sure to check your email regularly, as we'll be in touch about any additional application materials and next steps.
Final results for the audition and UBC application are usually available in April.
I'm not ready to apply yet...
Sign up for High Notes newsletter! Receive the laest news and stories from UBC School of Music. Just enter your email, below.
Banner image by Don Erhardt Photography