Ensembles of all sizes and styles
Large and small and incredibly diverse, our student ensembles range in size from trios and quartets to the 110-member UBC Symphony Orchestra. They play in dozens of traditions and styles, from Bach to Balinese Gamelan and everything in between. Learn more about our ensembles below, then plan your audition.
African Music and Dance
Chinese Music Ensemble
Choosing an ensemble
You can audition for a wide variety of ensembles. Ensemble courses may be taken and repeated for credit as your Faculty stipulates. Please be sure to visit the individual ensemble pages before scheduling an audition.
- Large instrumental ensembles (MUSC 150 & 550A*)
- Symphony orchestra
- Bands: wind ensemble & concert winds
- Choral ensembles
- University Singers (MUSC 153)
- Vocal Chamber Ensembles (156)
- Chamber Music Ensemble (MUSC 156, 160, 161, 162 & 562A*)
- Asian & African Music Ensembles (MUSC 165)
- Chinese Music Ensemble
- Balinese Gamelan Ensemble
- Korean Drumming Ensemble
- African Music and Dance Ensemble
- Early Music Ensemble (MUSC 157)
- Contemporary Players (MUSC 163)
- Jazz (MUSC 164)
- Opera (MUSC 339)
*Ensemble courses only available to graduate students
Auditions for ensemble placements will be offered either in-person or via video in the fall, depending on the ensemble(s) you are interested in. Please read the instructions carefully for each audition you are preparing.
Instrumental ensemble auditions
All students (including non-major students planning to return as members of the UBC Concert Winds) who wish to participate in Symphony Orchestra, Symphonic Wind Ensemble, Concert Winds, and Woodwind and Brass Chamber Ensembles, must submit an audition video and online questionnaire.