Rhythm from multiple traditions
Director: Vern Griffiths
The UBC Percussion Ensemble performs music for the vast spectrum of percussion instruments, including original works from the 20th century, transcriptions of familiar classics, and traditional dance music from Africa and Latin America.
The group also encourages the creation of new repertoire for percussion ensemble by student composers. Two concerts per year are scheduled in the Roy Barnett Recital Hall, in addition to other off-campus activities.
WATCH: The UBC Percussion Ensemble performs "Sleeping Bear"
Artists who have given Percussion Masterclasses in recent years include:
- Nebojsa Zivkovic, International marimba soloist (first appearance in Canada)
- Russell Hartenberger, Nexus
- John Rudolph, Toronto Symphony
- Ian Bernard, National Arts Centre Orchestra
- Bev Johnston, Canadian percussion/marimba soloist
- Ben Thomas, Seattle jazz vibraphonist
- Bernie Arai, Vancouver jazz drum set player
- Celso Machado, Vancouver Brazilian master
- Pius Cheung, Marimba soloist/composer
- Anne-Julie Caron, Canadian Marimba soloist
- Chen Zimbalista, Israeli percussion/marimba soloist
- Aiyun Huang, Contemporary music
- Dario Savron, Italian marimba soloist
Banner image by Don Erhardt Photography