Transferring into the B.Mus degree

How many credits may I transfer to the BMUS program?

  • No more than 50% of the total credits required for your UBC degree program are allowed (approx. 63 to 68, depending on your BMUS major).
  • Courses you have successfully completed at a Canadian college or university will be assessed for transfer credit on a course-by-course basis at the time of admission; however, many Canadian university courses have been evaluated and approved for transfer to UBC. If a course you have taken has not been approved for transfer to UBC, you may be asked to provide a copy of the course description from your previous university’s calendar.
  • UBC does not publish pre-approved transfer credit for Canadian university courses.

Types of transfer credits

  • Transfer credits for post-secondary institutions within British Columbia: Be sure to review the BC Transfer Guide -- used by UBC and other institutions within British Columbia.
  • Transfer credits for post-secondary institutions outside of British Columbia: AFTER ADMISSION TO UBC, music courses taken outside of British Columbia are assessed for transfer credit on an individual basis by Dr. Alan Dodson (Tel: 604-822-5287). Note: For this assessment, a transcript (faxed copy acceptable) as well as available course descriptions and outlines of relevant courses, must be submitted (web links to online course descriptions may be acceptable). 
  • International Baccalaureate (IB) enriched secondary school program.
  • Advanced Placement (AP) enriched secondary school program. Note: The 6 credits awarded by UBC for the AP Music Theory 12 exam may be counted as music elective credit in the BMUS program. They do not, however, exempt the student from taking the required first-year Music Theory courses at UBC, which cover the material in greater depth and at a more advanced level.
  • After admission to the UBC BMUS program, students who wish to study at another institution for transfer credit to their UBC BMUS degree must receive permission to study on a Letter of Permission PRIOR to registering at another institution. Students who complete studies elsewhere without a Letter of Permission may have their request for transfer credit denied.

Which year will I transfer into?

  • Which year transfer students are admitted to in the BMUS is based solely on performance at the audition, not on transfer credits.
  • Opera performance transfer students are often accepted into second year even though they may have finished two years of college.

The writing requirement

  • If you are applying to UBC as a transfer student who has taken 60 or more transferable credits, we strongly recommend that you have passed 3 credits of instruction on writing in the disciplines from the following: ASTU 150 (Arts Studies in Writing), English 100 (Reading and Writing about Literature), CAP (Co-ordinated Arts Program), Arts One, or an approved equivalent.
  • If you already have 60 credits, but do not have credits which fulfill the Writing Requirement, you must satisfy the Writing Requirement in your first Winter Session in the BMUS program, regardless of how many other credits you are taking during that session.
  • Once you have commenced your BMUS program at UBC, any required Writing Requirement credits MUST be completed at UBC.
  • To prepare for the writing classes or if you are returning to university and wish to refresh your writing skills, a non-credit course, Writing 099: Advanced Composition may be taken through the UBC Writing Centre. Click here for schedule, registration and fee details.

BMUS continuation requirements

  • Third-year transfer students must have met the applicable UBC BMUS Continuation Requirement prior to transferring to UBC. Specifically, first-year musicianship (ear training, sight singing) must have been passed prior to taking third year lessons.
  • UBC BMUS Continuation Requirements. After transferring to UBC, students are subject to all BMUS Continuation Requirements.