Want to join a student ensemble?
The School of Music offers instrumental and vocal ensembles ranging from a symphony orchestra to jazz bands to world music groups. Our musicians and choirs perform in superb facilities on campus and at downtown Vancouver locations. Auditions happen every September, are open to all UBC students, and can be taken and repeated for course credit.
Choosing an ensemble
Students can audition for a wide variety of ensembles. Ensemble courses may be taken and repeated for credit, as stipulated by your faculty (if you are unsure, it is your responsibility to consult your faculty). Please be sure to visit the individual ensemble pages before scheduling an audition.
- Large Instrumental Ensembles (MUSC 150): Students who play stringed instruments, wind instruments, brass, or percussion can audition for the symphony orchestra, wind ensemble or concert winds.
- Choral Union (MUSC 154): A large choir open to the entire university.
- University Singers (MUSC 153): A smaller choir for good singers with extensive choral experience.
- Vocal Chamber Ensembles (MUSC 156): Chamber, women's, men's choirs, for good singers with extensive choral experience.
- Chamber Music Ensemble (MUSC 161, 160, 161, 156, 162): Student ensembles explore the rich chamber music repertoire through a diversity of instrumental groupings such as string quartets, wind quintets and various other mixed groupings.
- Asian & African Music Ensembles (MUSC 165): There are four sections, a Chinese music ensemble, a Balinese gamelan ensemble, a Korean drumming ensemble and an African Music & Dance ensemble. No specific experience in instruments of these cultures is required to audition.
- Early Music Ensemble (MUSC 157): Small ensemble specializing in Western music of the Baroque and earlier, for instrumentalists and singers.
- Contemporary Players (MUSC 163): A small ensemble specializing in recent art music, for singers and instrumentalists.
- Jazz Ensemble (MUSC 164): For brass, wind, and percussion players.
- Opera (MUSC 339)
Scheduling your audition
- Note that all non-music students should register for a backup course until you're admitted to an ensemble. Once you're admitted, you'll need to email firstname.lastname@example.org to officially register (please include your student number).
- For all other ensembles and questions about auditions, contact the School of Music front desk by phone at 604-822-3113 or by email.
Preparing for instrumental auditions
Before signing up for an instrumental audition, please familiarize yourself with the audition requirements for your instrument.
- Please sign up for an instrumental audition time here.
- During the audition, you will play prepared excerpts, scales, and do a short sight-reading for the audition panel.
Preparing for choir auditions
- There are five choirs you can audition for: University Singers (MUSC 153), Choral Union (MUSC 154), Women's Choir (MUSC 156a), Men's Choir (MUSC 156b), and Chamber Choir (MUSC 156c).
- Auditions last approx. 5-10 mins and are held in the UBC School of Music Building, 4th Floor at the beginning of every fall term.
- Check this space in late summer 2017 for more information about choir auditions.
Banner image by Don Erhardt Photography