Thesis submission (M.Mus.)
1. Apply for graduation
You can’t graduate unless you actually first apply to graduate. Even if you plan to graduate in May but don’t intend to attend the ceremony, you still must apply. If you have not yet applied, contact Robert Ablenas, Manager of Academic Advising, in person or by email email@example.com no later than April 20, 2018, 4:00 p.m. PDT.
2. Make sure your thesis package is error-free and complete
Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (G+PS) provides a thesis checklist and templates; those are available at https://www.grad.ubc.ca/current-students/dissertation-thesis-preparation/resources-thesis-preparation-checking If you submit your thesis and G+PS observes any errors or omissions, then G+PS will request you make corrections and re-submit the corrected thesis.
To allow turnaround time for such a possibility, you should submit your thesis at least 4 days before the April 20, 2018 deadline. Errors include incorrect format or size or naming protocol of files, incorrect page layout and formatting, exceeding word limits (e.g., exceeding 350 words for the Abstract and/or exceeding 150 words for the Lay Summary), and incorrect sequence of pages. Omissions include missing information on the Committee Page, and missing mandatory pages.
Note that the audio and/or video file(s) of recital(s) that you upload to cIRcle will have to be in segments 2 Gigabytes or less. The following provide examples of typical content for some of the mandatory pages:
- Title Page (Choral Conducting, Composition, Guitar, Harpsichord, Opera, Orchestral Instruments, Organ, Piano, and Voice)
- Committee Page (Doctoral Examples and Master's Examples)
- Abstract (Choral Conducting, Composition, Guitar, Harpsichord, Opera, Orchestral Instruments, Organ, Piano, and Voice) … not to exceed 350 words, using vocabulary and description appropriate to audiences in your area of expertise
- Lay Summary … not to exceed 150 words, a simpler version of the Abstract, using vocabulary and description accessible to audiences who do not share your area of expertise and knowledge base
- Preface (MMUS_preface)
- Table of Contents (MMUS_table_of_contents)
3. Complete the approval form and the submission cover sheet
- Doctoral students submit Dissertation Approval form and Electronic Dissertation Submission Cover Sheet to G+PS.
- Master’s students submit Thesis Approval form and Electronic Thesis Submission Cover Sheet to G+PS.
Note: For performance students studying with a sessional or adjunct instructor, the “Examining Committee Member” listed on the form is that sessional or adjunct instructor. The “Research Supervisor” listed on the form is the Division Chair.
Once you have done this, email G+PS at firstname.lastname@example.org to request your account be activated. In the email, include your name, email address, and (if applicable) whether you are submitting your thesis to the “Electronic Theses and Dissertations in Creative Arts, 2017+ (CWL ACCESS)” collection. Within a day they should activate your account. Once you receive word your account is activated, you may proceed to submit your thesis.
It will take G+PS a few days to review all thesis submissions. IF G+PS identify any errors and/or omissions, THEN they will notify you … then you would be required to make the corrections and resubmit your thesis. For that reason, DO NOT LEAVE THESIS SUBMISSION FOR THE FINAL DEADLINE. SUBMIT YOUR THESIS BEFORE DEADLINE:
- IF you want your graduate degree to be conferred at May 2018 Congregation, THEN submit your error-free complete forms to G+PS and thesis to cIRcle NO LATER THAN April 20, 2018 @ 4:00 PM PDT!
- IF you’re not attending May 2018 Congregation but nonetheless have completed everything for your graduate studies, THEN submit your error-free complete forms to G+PS and thesis to cIRcle NO LATER THAN April 30, 2018 @ 4:00 PM PDT. Submission by this date guarantees your graduate program end date would be April 30, 2018 … which means you would not be assessed tuition and student fees for summer 2018.
6. Review your grades on the SSC
If you notice any courses missing a grade, please report this to Robert Ablenas, Manager of Academic Advising email@example.com by April 30, 2018. Please include the name of the instructor for the course.
7. Make sure your UBC financial account is settled
You will not receive a diploma or be able to order transcripts if you have outstanding fees.
Updated April 12, 2018