Scholarships & awards for undergrad students
There are a number of scholarships and bursaries available for undergraduate students. Deadlines vary by award. Please note that the deadline for major entrance scholarships can be as early as Dec. 1.
- Scholarships for Canadian students
- Scholarships for international students
- Irving K. Barber Scholarship (for students transferring from college or another university)
- Other UBC scholarships
Second year students (apply at end of 1st year):
- William and Nona Heaslip Scholarship: Undergraduate students entering their second year in the Faculty of Arts (must have attended UBC in the prior year) are eligible to apply for one of two $15,000 scholarships. In selecting recipients, consideration is given to strong academic performance (minimum 75% average), financial need, and community involvement.
- Premier Undergraduate and Wesbrook Scholarships: recognizes third- and fourth-year students with academic achievement and involvement in sports and community pursuits.
- Rhodes Scholarship: For students in their graduating year.
- Trek Excellence Scholarships
- Scholarships for students with disabilities
- Scholarships for women in part-time study
- Other scholarships
- Arts Travel & Learn Abroad Award for Students (1/2 way down page): awards up to $2,500 each to undergraduate students who have completed at least one year (27 credits) in the Faculty of Arts and who have applied to a Study Abroad Program. In selecting recipients, consideration is given to strong academic performance and demonstrated interest in area of study as outlined in statement of purpose.
- UBC Exchange Scholarships: There are a number of scholarships specifically for students going on exchange.
- Killam Fellowships Program Awards: Provides exceptional undergraduate students from select universities in Canada and the United States with the opportunity to spend either one semester or a full academic year as an exchange student in the other country.
- Co-op Scholarships: Students participating in Arts Co-op may be eligible to receive scholarships.
School of Music
There is no application process for most scholarships in Music. New and returning students in all School of Music degree programs are automatically considered for these scholarships, which vary from $500 to $3,500 (awarded to over 100 B.Mus. students). Some are designated for particular instruments, while some have other particular requirements. Several substantial entrance scholarships are available. Returning B.Mus. student scholarship recipients must meet the basic minimum academic requirements: registered for 27 percentage grade credits in the prior Winter Session, 75% average, no fails or standing deferreds.
School of Music scholarships requiring an application:
- The Johann Strauss Foundation 'Lotte and John Hecht Memorial Scholarships for Advanced Study of Music in Austria': This scholarship is available for music students currently enrolled in the UBC School of Music who propose a music study project in Austria of at least four weeks during summer term. Students must apply by proposing an appropriate study project, and the scholarships are awarded on a competitive basis, following interviews and auditions in January or February. Recipients of the Strauss Foundation Scholarship must also meet the minimum requirements for all UBC scholarships. The application deadline, application form and further information can be found on the Johann Strauss Foundation Scholarships page.
- Joseph and Melitta Kandler Scholarship for Advanced Music Study: This scholarship is open to undergraduate (third- or fourth-year only) and graduate students to assist with the cost of pursuing music training or research outside of Canada through a program of study approved by the School of Music. The application deadline, application form and further information can be found on the Kandler Foundation Scholarship page.
Non-UBC scholarships and awards (Canadian students)
- Association of Universities & Colleges of Canada
- Coast Capital Savings Education Awards (British Columbian Residents)
- Frank Knox Memorial Scholarships: find the information needed to apply for this program by visiting the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada’s website.
- Killam Fellowships Program Awards
- Loren Awards: for high school students entering university in their next year. Open to Canadian citizens and permanent residents only. Various EARLY deadline dates.
- McGraw-Hill Ryerson Student Scholarship
- Mensa Canada Scholarships
- Rhodes Scholarship
- Royal Bank Scholarships for Undergraduates
- Student Awards
- Scholarships Canada
- BC Arts Council Scholarship Awards. Deadline to apply: April 30th.
- Hnatyshyn Foundation Developing Artists Grants
- The Mya Domeij Evenden Memorial Fund (for voice students in B.C. who sing in a choir)
- Lillian Forsyth Scholarship. To assist a person pursuing a career in church music to follow a proposed programme of study directly applied to Christian worship. Deadline to apply: April 15th.
- Vancouver Women's Musical Society
- National Arts Centre Orchestra Bursary Competition. Music students between the ages of 16 and 24 whose family homes or principal residences are in the National Capital Region (Canada) and who are pursuing careers as professional orchestral musicians. Applicants must be Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada.
- Burt Harris Memorial Scholarship: Music BC Charitable Foundation. $1,000 scholarship award for individuals age 25 and under who can show financial need and exceptional ability, to help pay for tuition for a music program at a post secondary institution. See website for deadline dates.
- Minstrel Foundation Scholarship: for low income, inner-city students to study music at an advanced level. Application. Contact.
- Salt Spring Arts Council. For students residing in School District 64, graduating from Secondary School, and for graduates from the District pursuing Post-Secondary education.
- Victoria Area $300 Award (WSAC). Only for students with a primary residence in the following Victoria, BC suburbs: Colwood, Highlands, Langford, Metchosin or View Royal.
Non-UBC Scholarships and awards (international students)
Banner image by Don Erhardt Photography