Royal Over-Seas League UK Scholarship for a B.C. Emerging Musician
The aim of this scholarship is to offer a young musician the opportunity, at the outset of his/her career, to experience the richness and diversity of professional musical life in the UK. The scholarship is designed to assist an outstanding young musician considering post-graduate study in the UK or Europe.
The scholarship package includes:
- One return economy flight from Canada to London
- Hospitality for two weeks in London and one week in Edinburgh
- Cash award of £500 sterling to cover personal expenses in the UK
- One to two weeks’ attendance at Lake District Summer Music School (annually in August) or other comparable music academy
- Consultation lessons/coaching with prominent UK teachers
- Participation in ROSL ARTS Edinburgh Festival Fringe concert series
- Participation in an evening concert in London for the ROSL
- A lunchtime recital at either St. James’s Piccadilly or St Martin in the Fields
- Tickets for a wide range of cultural events including the BBC Promenade Concerts at the Royal Albert Hall and the Edinburgh International Festival
Applications are invited from advanced students in music who meet all the following criteria:
- Be enrolled full-time in the B.Mus., M.Mus., or D.M.A. program at UBC at the time of application, specializing in performance of an orchestral instrument and studying Western classical music;
- Be 30 years old or less as of December 31 of the year of application;
- Meet UBC’s minimum requirements for scholarship eligibility for their program, established by the Office of Student Financial Assistance and Awards and/or by the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies.
How to Apply
Applications for the summer 2018 scholarship are now open. The application deadline has been extended to Monday, December 4, 2017. Auditions will be held in the afternoon on Saturday, January 20, 2018.
About the Royal Over-Seas UK League
The Royal Over-Seas League (ROSL) is a non-profit Commonwealth private members organisation, committed to supporting international understanding and friendship through social, music, arts and welfare activities.
For over 50 years the ROSL ARTS program has developed a diverse portfolio of activities in music, visual arts, and literature. ROSL ARTS is devoted to the career development of talented young professional artists and musicians from the UK and the Commonwealth. It provides performance and exhibition opportunities for its prizewinning artists and musicians early in their careers, and thus brings their work to the attention of the professional arts community, the media, and the general public.
Over the past 30 years, ROSL ARTS has offered scholarships to musicians from Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, Singapore, New Zealand, South Africa and Sri Lanka.
Banner image via Thinkstock